Egg hatching tool kit...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shelleyd2008, Nov 25, 2010.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Just wondering what all you have in your 'egg hatching tools' that you think is a must have to share with the group? Obviously, a good incubator, good thermo/hygrometer combo, brooders, and brooder lights are obvious. I'm asking for the 'extras'.

Personally, I think everyone should keep a baby hair brush or soft bristled tooth brush in their 'kit', these help to get the 'gunk' off chicks that might have gotten stuck.

So what is your 'must have'? [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Heavy socks for the lockdown period. I am in a VERY dry climate and during incubation I have to struggle to keep it at 40%, so heavy soaked socks at lockdown are a necessity fo rme.

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I buy a fresh 3-pack of plain sponges for lockdown, same reason as Debi. 3 for $1 and some change, buy fresh every hatch so they are always clean. I'm sure clean socks are a good idea too!!!

4. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    How about good fertile eggs. I know, I know, we all hope for that tool. [​IMG]

5. aceoftrumps

aceoftrumps Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    South Central Louisiana
    Marbles or decorative aquarium rocks for your waterer....one of mine drowned in the waterer.

Kurt

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Sponges here dry up in about 8 hours. That was a failed hatch. I learned - in the desert you need big thick fat socks soaked.

7. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Question, why do you remove the shrink wrapping? When I had wrapped chicks, I misted them with water and most slid off with my finger. The rest in patches, it came off while the chicks groom themselves over time. I didn't find it necessary to stress them any further than needed.

A wet sock! That's what I need. I loose water so fast and the humidity drops 2x a day...thanks for the idea! Too bad we loose socks here like the plague, though. No idea where they all keep going..lol.

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I rarely have any that get 'shrink wrapped', but removing the membrane helps keep the other chicks from picking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by