Egg help-fertile egg?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by 77horses, Aug 20, 2008.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Hi.
    If an egg has an air bubble, does that mean that it is fertile?[​IMG]
    or do all eggs(fertile or not) have air bubbles that you can see when the egg is candled? Thanks! [​IMG]

2. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    anyone? please!
    my dad might be trying to hatch eggs in a homemade incubator, and he has never done it before, so we need to know as much as possible about hatching chicken eggs! [​IMG]

3. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    hello?? please answer quick! I have to leave soon![​IMG]

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    An aircell doesn't mean it's fertile or infertile. Here is a link to a thread you should see:
    Link to Speckledhen's egg fertility thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008

The
    only way to tell fertility is to open an egg and look for what Speckledhen has pointed out in her thread or to incubate them and candle.

5. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    77horses-It is against the rules to keep bumping your thread like this. It also gives members the idea that your question is being answered so you may not end up with the answer you need. Posting in incubating instead of BST may have helped you too!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  6. goldensunriseranch

goldensunriseranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    You can not tell if an egg is fertile until it either starts to develop spidery veins when candled or you break it and see the white bullseye in the yolk. Generally it can be 5-7 days, depending on the size and color of the egg, before you can candle it and see the veining.

7. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    All eggs have airsacs...
    Do you have a rooster with the hens? That's the important thing. [​IMG]

8. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    oops wrong forum:eek:
    ok thanks I was just wondering, since when i foolishly tried to hatch an egg by putting it under a light i saw a little air bubble and i thought maybe it was fertile. and yes the two hens are with roosters and they do mate with them every day. but the hens(Red Stars) won't sit on the eggs![​IMG]

9. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    There's a good chance they're fertile, then... good luck. [​IMG]

10. Morgaine

Morgaine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    The way I understand it, the hens won't sit unless they are broody and broodiness is hormonal and has been breed out of a lot of chickens. Try doing a search for broody hens.

Good Luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by