1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Egg Help Please

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Grand-hen-ma, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Grand-hen-ma

Grand-hen-ma Songster

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    In the past, my girls were always laying about 5 to 7 eggs a day. All of a sudden we are getting 2 in a day or 4 or 6. I give my girls the best food the feed store has to offer. They have plenty of fresh water at all times. I give them a couple of handfulls of scratch a few times a week. They also get rice and fruits and veggies a couple times a week as a treat. I also offer some crushed shell from time to time. Can it just be the heat? My girls are about 8 months old.

I also put my Roo in with the girls today. He seems to be getting alone fine with them but none of the girls seem interested in him. And he's more interested in getting back to the other side of the fence, where he grew up with my other Roo and hen.

Any thoughts?

2. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Songster

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    I would say it's from the heat..as for the new roo he's just a young upstart it takes a little time for them to adjust your roo just wants to go back to his old home give him a week or too.

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Songster

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    How old are they? The heat could certainly be slowing things down or they could be getting ready to molt...

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing 8 Years

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Or they could have a hidden nest, are they free ranging at all?

5. Grand-hen-ma

Grand-hen-ma Songster

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    My girls can't free range because of the wild coyotees and red tailed hawks we have all over the place. Not to mention the 3 dogs we have. I offer plenty of fresh grass and I even grow rye grass on flats and give it to them.

Molting? Does this mean they will lose all their feathers and look like naked birds? Come to think of it I have been seeing some feathers on the ground in their pen.

My girls are about 8 months old.

My son gives the girls a huge scoop of scratch a day. I told him to cut back on that to a small handful every other day. I thought maybe he was giving them too much of that and they need their food.

Will see what happens.

Thanks for the help.

6. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Songster

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Sometimes they go into a mini-molt at around that age, but it seems more likely that too much scratch and high heat is you culprits. Let us know if things turn around for youi if a week or two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: