egg help please!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cheerios231, Feb 11, 2014.

1. cheerios231

cheerios231 New Egg

Dec 16, 2013
    texas
    My chicken girls that lays eggs are kinda thin sheld and the white part of the egg is kinda watery. Does anyone know why its that way. And its very hard to pill a hard boiled egg..I cook the eggs in salted boiling water for 7 min. Any tips please to help them pill better.
    Also I have another question. .my big size rooster mates with my little chickens and sometimes my genny..will it hurt anything if I get babies later on with my little chickens. .I know it will for the genny!..thank you for reading my post and for any help.

2. jenniemig

jenniemig Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I have read that fresh eggs need some time to age before they're easy to peel.

3. cheerios231

cheerios231 New Egg

Dec 16, 2013
    texas
    I'm sorry.. what do you mean age? And for how long?

4. jenniemig

jenniemig Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I have read that the store bought eggs peel easy because they are a few weeks old by the time we buy them. I would post a link, but it's difficult to do from my phone. You can search the site for boil eggs and lots of posts have tips. Some say aging, salt, and even vinegar help.

5. Theapplechicks

Theapplechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    yes fresh eggs are much harder to peel. either let them sit for a couple weeks first before you boil and peel or you can try the method that we have been doing. We bake them in muffin tins in the oven. You can google and find the exact instructions. They peal much easier that way.

The whites will be a bit thinner than store eggs, they are fresh so don't be to worried about that. If the shells are thin and porous than you can try adding some oyster shell for calcium or crush up egg shells from eggs you use and feed it back to them. Make sure you crush them up though so they don't get the idea of eating fresh eggs!

6. cheerios231

cheerios231 New Egg

Dec 16, 2013
    texas
    Thank yall so much for for the helpful advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by