Egg hiding dog

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Royd, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Royd

Royd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    I have an Austrailian Cattle Dog, Jewel. I guess, due to her desert nature, she's not a hole digger, she's a cave digger.
    She's got a really nice den, under the mobile home, and the chickens, find the surrounding dirt, cool, and one hen likes the den, as a nest.....Just now, I walked around the house to check the hole, and saw the dog sneaking, quickly, out from under the house. You know the body language.
    I glanced into the den. No egg..As I come back around the house, I see Jewel, covering something up, with her nose. It's her habit to bury things, for later use.
    I walk over to the spot, and uncover a perfect egg....I wonder how many others are buried, around the yard.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  2. Koolduck

Koolduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Central KY
    [​IMG] Here I am worried that my dogs will eventually "just nibbling Mom really" my chickens...could be worse! Best of luck!

3. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    [​IMG] now you have to really hunt for eggs...My Malamute is the same (has not been able to get an egg though)...she will bury and stash about anything, including her toys, for later use...

4. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

How sweet that she sees them as valuable [​IMG]

Now she just has to learn that they are YOURS. Silly girl!

5. Royd

Royd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    Quote:I actually thought about training her, to fetch them, for me. Wouldn't that be a hoot?

6. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Quote:I actually thought about training her, to fetch them, for me. Wouldn't that be a hoot?

If you do....we want video! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by