1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

egg hunt

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shaley1, Jun 5, 2008.

1. shaley1

shaley1 New Egg

Apr 17, 2008
    Gray, Maine
    I have three hens that stopped laying eggs in the coop. Every day is like a easter egg hunt around the yard....is this normal??? eggs in the bushes, eggs under junk in the yard....

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I don't think it's normal. Is there something wrong with the nest? Try to figure out why they stopped laying where they were.

3. Chick_in_Indiana

Chick_in_Indiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    NE Indiana
    It's becoming normal around here. Some days I will have 6 eggs other days I will have 2. And everything inbetween. I have never had this problem before. Nothing has changed either. So I have decide to move their nesting boxes. Maybe they are just tired of laying in the same place. Have you tried putting "fake" eggs where you want them to lay?

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Yes fake eggs (golf balls) are suppose to work wonderfully [​IMG] Good luck

5. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    My friend has a junkyard down the road about 5 mile he keeps guinea for night watchman he says they lay in the gloveboxes [​IMG] that are open, if the windows are broken or rolled down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by