egg hunt

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Baobeimom, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Baobeimom

Baobeimom Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2013
    Fort Worth
    We started to pick egg from last week. We found eggs in nesting box. corner of the chicken run, or corner at the backyard. As each time we only got on or two, we thought it should be only one or two were laying.
    The day before, my husband complained chicken had been noise under his bedroom window in the afternoon. So I went to the area where I also keep a line of bags full of fall leaves. Two of them at the end were open. There was a chicken laying in one. I had a look: oh,my, there were several eggs in those two bags! I picked them up, there were 9 altogether. Haha!
    I put an egg cell in the nest box. Today I got two eggs from there, and one in the garden. Not too bad.
    Look like we will still need to do more egg hunting, we will have a long easter time.Haha!
    Let us know if you have better ideas!

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

You can try confining your hens to the coop. Some folks confine them all day for several days, some folks keep them cooped until early afternoon. Most hens lay in the am, so the second way lets them be cooped while laying, then out ranging. The first way goes on the theory they're creatures of habit and once they get in the habit of laying in the coop, they'll continue to do so.

Personally, I never had much luck getting free ranging hens to lay in the coop. I'd go on egg hunts all the time and find hidden nests. You wouldn't believe the places a hen will hide her eggs!

3. Baobeimom

Baobeimom Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2013
    Fort Worth
    Thanks! I will try!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by