1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

egg hunting how long until they are no longer good to eat? and is ther

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sallyjayd, Sep 11, 2009.

1. sallyjayd

sallyjayd Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    egg hunting how long until they are no longer good to eat? and is there a test to make sure that they were not over looked to long?

We are worried about my egg layers "free range" nest will be found to late.

Do they have to be refrigerated daily? My husband was scared of an egg that I KNOW wasn't there for more then 48 hours. [​IMG]

If this egg would have still been good please convince him...

If I find them after a week are they still good to eat?

I have no rosters (but do have a male duck) who I see every once in a while try to mount them.

but they can't get fertilized by him right?
    [​IMG]
    so they should be unfertilized eggs? [​IMG]
    anyways

[​IMG] PLEASE please advise
    I need answers as to:

1) How long unfertilized eggs can stay out side in different temps right now we are around 70-78 most days

2) Does it make a different if the are fertile?

3) Is there a way to tell if they are still good?

4) I also heard something about washing them? are they or are they not supost to be washed?

[​IMG] THANK YOU thank you

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    there are a lot of factors that will affect your answer...

ok it is about 70 - 78 most days but where was the nest found?

mine was found in a spot hidden really well in a wee bit of a hole in the shade so i found mine after about 4 days and they were all still good i just cracked each one separately in a bowl to make sure this was in the spring cooler temps too

if they are in the blaring heat direct sunlight i would say no 48 hrs max but crack into a bowl and see

3. sallyjayd

May 18, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    The one was found in a small dog igloo on the porch the others was found in the cellar window box both out of direct sun light. the one I'm sure she just laided it was still wet and very warm.

What am I looking for when cracking. The smell or looking for something?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  4. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:you will know a bad egg when you crack it...lol [​IMG]

5. sallyjayd

May 18, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    OH really?
    you will know a bad egg when you crack it...lol [​IMG]

I hope I never find out. [​IMG]

but I want to boils some. so if I don't crack them until they are cooked then what?​

6. animal_lover03

animal_lover03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    You can also do the water test. Fill a cup with water and put the egg in, if it sinks its good to eat, if it floats then dont eat it.

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Sounds like you would find this article interesting. It's a long read but I think worth it.

Storing Eggs
    http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sustaina … ation.aspx

An egg has an air sac in one end. As the egg ages, it loses moisture and the air sac enlarges. At some point, the air sac gets large enough that the egg floats. It depends some on how the egg is stored, especialy heat and humidity, but an egg that floats is normally older than an egg that sinks if the eggs have been stored under similar conditions.

An egg that sinks is not necessarily good or one that floats necessarily bad, but it is a good guideline. I'd be pretty comfortable with an egg that sinks. I always crack an egg in a separate bowl to inspect it before I add it to the pan or a recipe, regardless of how fresh it is.

With your "found" eggs, the float test is a good way to determine which eggs to try and which get fed to the dog or back to the chickens. I'm not sure what would happen if you tried to boil a "rotten" egg. I suspect you would smell it but I'd be concerned it might explode when it heated up.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  8. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    You can do what my aunt did with ALL her eggs. She cracked them in a saucer before adding them to whatever she was cooking. You don't have to guess on eggs. If the egg looks OK, it's OK. If it doesn't, it's not.

9. JewellFarm

JewellFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Lebanon, Virginia
    Do a water test. Fill up a large bowl or something with water, put the egg in. If it sinks it's fine, if it floats it bad. [​IMG]

10. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Oh believe me, you do NOT want to boil an egg that is bad....oh the horrible smell! I'd do the water test as suggested by JewellFarm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by