egg hunting..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lilshadow, Aug 16, 2008.

1. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    My girls started laying while I was on vacation, which was about two weeks ago. My DH called and told me, well they are laying in our barn. I just found a dozen eggs in a tool box. Are the eggs still good? How long can they sit out before they go bad? It took me a few days to find their hinding spot. I smelled the eggs and they don't smell bad. I have had to go egg hunting everyday because they free range during the day. Walking in the woods, the barn, etc.

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

How warm has it been where you are at? I know people will leave the eggs that they have collected on the counter for a couple weeks.

3. lilshadow

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    I'm in MN. It has been 70's during the day. Today has been the hottest which is 84.

4. angels4

angels4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Do the water trick to check and see if they are spoiled.

5. lilshadow

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    water trick? If they float they are ruined right?

6. angels4

Right! They float if the are spoiled. It is caused by the gases of a rotten egg.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  7. lilshadow

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    Okay thanks I will try that. Does it matter if I put them in the fridge already?

8. angels4

Good question? I wouldn't think so!

9. Kesta

Kesta Pie Crust Malfunction

Jul 31, 2008
    houston tx
    [​IMG]:bun:bun:bun mine did the same thing they just hid there egges n a dif spot every day put now they just lay n 1 spot so its eseyer

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by