Egg Identification, duck vs chicken

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TanyaLlama, Nov 8, 2016.

1. TanyaLlama

TanyaLlama Just Hatched

Aug 15, 2016
    Hello,
    I am hoping to get advice for telling duck eggs apart from chicken eggs. I have 2 female Pekins and 1 female Khaki Campbell along with 3 chicken hens housed together. My babies were hatched on May 16th, 2016. For the past few weeks I routinely get 3 eggs in the morning. Does any one have any idea which one came from which critter? My best guess is that the large egg is from one of the Pekins, some mornings I get 2 large ones solidifying my conclusion. For the two smaller ones I can't tell if they are chicken eggs or if one is a duck egg and the other a chicken.
    Any advice for telling them apart? Naturally my chickens mimic the ducks and lay in their nest. I am trying different nest boxes but so far the chickens aren't using them.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  2. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Khakis lay pretty darn big eggs to...

3. TanyaLlama

TanyaLlama Just Hatched

Aug 15, 2016

Oh really? That big of an egg can come out of that little girl?
    [​IMG]

4. Bills vs Beaks

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Top egg is a Khaki campbell egg...bottom is buff orpington chicken egg for comparison.
    The chicken and duck are the same age.

5. Bills vs Beaks

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Duck eggs shells are smoother and more slippery. They also tend not to be as brittle as chicken eggs when you crack them. As for telling who laid which...thats a bit harder.

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by