EGG IMPACTION IN SILKIE!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cencor, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Cencor

Cencor Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2013
    Hi everyone our little silkie beyonce has been poorly for about a week. Ive thought it was everything from my bo trying to mount her.to ducks attacking her. We gave tlc baths and seperated her. Today we got to the allotment her bottom was covered in feaces really swollen everything that said an pacted egg wegave an experienced chicken person on our allotment an egg was impacted and she managed to gently massage it out (it was black!!) Beyonce has perked up a lot but shes still waddling she lpoks like shes got a prolapse she blleding slighty weve taken her home bathed her in the sink (she loved it) now weve just put antibiotics in hher.water cleaned her vent an put her in a warm dark room i know ive twittered on but.what are the odds on survival and is there anything else to make her comfortable im soo worried thank you

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Sounds like she has a good chance for survival.. Does she have a prolapse now? You are doing everything you can it sounds like. If she is prolapsed you can try some preparation H to help shrink the tissues.she likely has the trauma to her area because of the stuck and rotted egg. Give her ample time to heal.sounds like your doing a great job of supportive care and she has a great chance.do keep an eye on her in the next couple days when it's time for her to lay again.if she is bound again you can try injecting with calcium glutenate. This helps bound hens lay. I got my calcium glutenate injectable online it's called theracalcium . Manufactured by vetoquinol. You might be able to find it at an feed store as well it says on the bottle injectable calcium supplement for cattle horses sheep goats pigs dogs and cats but it works with poultry as well.i would keep this on hand to help her out when needed.its exactly what the vet will give a bound hen.i keep it on hand for my girls. I'd start with 1/4 to 1/2 cc.this should help her pass her egg. I hope this is helpful. Best wishes

3. Cencor

Dec 13, 2013
    Thanks so much for the reply can i ask what is preperation x. She still has a prolapse although we sprayed a little wound spray around and gently massaged (the things we do for our chickens) do you give this ur chickens that have been egg bound calcium often or just when egg bound

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Keep her in a dark cage for 16 hours a day, and provide plenty of water, but cut back some on her rations some to decrease laying. Some even recommend feeding just wheat instead of the usual layer feed. If there is prolapsed tissue hanging out of the vent, you need to do warm epsom salts baths, and scrub or clean off any crust or dead tissue or poo. These may need to be done daily until it is cleaned up, and dry her thoroughly in a warm area. The longer a prolapse stays out, the harder it is to push back inside, and the tissue can turn black and die. Using honey or lubricant, try pushing the prolapse back in--the honey will shrink and heal the tissue. Make sure she gets some calcium each day in crushed egg shells, or oyster shell.

5. Cencor

Dec 13, 2013
    Hi we gave her her bath in epsom salts the prolapse was all cleaned but it did llookblack (shes a black silkie though vould that be why)

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes, that might be hard to tell if it is healthy skin. Just keep cleaning it for a few days. Good luck with her.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Giving her calcium sure won't hurt.

-Kathy

8. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Perpetuation H is for hemorids and it shrinks swollen tissues

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  9. Cencor

Dec 13, 2013
    Are right is it for chickens or a human cream

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Human.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by