Egg in a cup?!?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChucktheChick, Feb 25, 2013.

1. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    So, I have seen this in a thread a while back, and I wanna try it!!! Hatching yolks in cups or taking shell off and watching them grow. I am trying to look this up online, but I cant find a thing!!!! I was wondering if any of you crazy chicken people could help me out or give any info. Thanks all in advance!!!!

2. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Anybody?

3. Colourful

Colourful Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2013
    Australia, NSW
    There is a guy on this site who tries something like that all the time and he almost never seems to get any chicks from it. The chance of infection/ bacteria getting into the chick fetus is huge. I would love to see this work, but I saw on another thread you said that you almost cried just hearing about someone dropping an egg, killing the chick inside. If you try this, you have to understand the chance of getting a chick live the full 3 weeks is very slim at best. Before you start, know that the chances aren't in your favour.

If you try this, I'll subscribe and follow you the whole way, wishing you luck at every stage. Either way, I wish you luck with your next hatching [​IMG].

4. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    I'm gonna try it. I will keep you updated on this every day!!!!

5. adjllee

adjllee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2013
    Am eager to follow along as well! Maybe even try it some time.

6. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    I know it's a HUGE risk and I'll probably get no chicks, it'll be worth a try! I'm only gonna do it on farm eggs, no expensive ones.

7. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Ya so I wanna try chipping some of the shell off. Any recommendations on where to do that?

8. jengro65

jengro65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Morgantown, WV
    How interesting!! I've never heard of such a thing. I will definitely subscribe to this post:)

9. Colourful

Colourful Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2013
    Australia, NSW
    I think you're supposed to start chipping at the air cell with tweezers and keep going until you've chipped away half the surface of the egg.

10. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

I've gotta to hear about this!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by