Egg in an egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Th55, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Th55

Th55 Chirping

Jun 24, 2018
    Camden, Arkansas
    About a week ago one of my favorite barred rocks went broody. I had been saving her eggs to put under the first hen to go broody just happen to be her. While leaving for work tonight the wife said when she saw her get off the nest to get water and noticed one egg that had broken but swears there was a whole egg inside the broken one.

If this is true, would this egg still be viable?
    She is on day 9 with the exception of the one egg with a day headstart.

AltonaAcres likes this.
  2. Mvan42

Mvan42 Songster

Mar 15, 2019
    Garrett County, Maryland
    It happens with one egg inside another. It possibly could be fertilized. I have not heard of it but there’s always a first. Maybe candle it if you know which one it is to see.

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  3. CluckNDoodle

CluckNDoodle Crowing

Jan 12, 2019
    Georgia
    I've seen eggs within eggs but the outer egg is usually really large. You would probably notice the extra large egg. It could definitely be fertilized but I imagine your problem would be whether all of the shell pores are filled with the eggy substance from having another egg around it. I don't know that it would breathe properly but I don't see any harm in waiting to see what happens! :) Keep us updated!

Wagnit09 and ChickNanny13 like this.
  4. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    :pop

RyderTheChicken and CluckNDoodle like this.
  5. Th55

Th55 Chirping

Jun 24, 2018
    Camden, Arkansas
    Interesting, i was kinda wondering if the wife had been drinking.
    I’ve not seen an egg in egg before. This particular hen does produce 20% or so larger eggs than all the others. I’ll give her a couple days then try to candle them late one evening.

6. CluckNDoodle

CluckNDoodle Crowing

Jan 12, 2019
    Georgia
    :lau

7. Stacyoung13

Stacyoung13 Crowing

Apr 9, 2018
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Keep updating :pop:pop:pop

CluckNDoodle likes this.
  8. Th55

Th55 Chirping

Jun 24, 2018
    Camden, Arkansas
    Lifted her off the nest this PM didn’t see any evidence of broken shell or egg. Quickly candled all the eggs, each show air sac at appropriate size to date.
    Should I check the liquor cabinet, or could this hen have cleaned to the broken shell? It was surprisingly clean where the eggs are.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    She would have eaten the broken egg.
    Stick you fingers(and nose) down into the nest bedding to make sure you don't have rotten egg in there.

123RedBeard likes this.
  10. CluckNDoodle

CluckNDoodle Crowing

Jan 12, 2019
    Georgia
    Hens do tend to clean the eggs as they shift around. Eggs under my broody hens always end up cleaner than the eggs in my incubators.

So can you see veins developing in all of the eggs??? lol! This is great! I actually hope your wife is right and not closet drinking. :lau:pop

DuckWhisperer06 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: