1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg in bedding

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sagicraw, Oct 16, 2013.

1. sagicraw

sagicraw Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2012
    My NH reds are laying eggs in my Pete moss bedding instead of the wood chip nesting boxes. Any ideas?? They layed for weeks in NB's but now in a single corner in the bedding.

2. Janet Pesaturo

Janet Pesaturo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    Bolton, MA, USA
    You mean on the floor, right? Try collecting eggs more often. Chickens like to lay where someone else has already laid eggs. In my flock of 15, I have 1 who always, always, always lays on the floor in a particular corner. Others will lay there if I don't pick up her egg, but use the nestboxes if I collect her egg before they find it.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Can you make the corner where they are laying less attractive? Put something over there like a couple of bricks to make it less comfotable. Can you make your nesting boxes more inviting to a chicken?, darker, easier to get into, better nesting material or something?

4. sagicraw

sagicraw Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2012
    Will it help if i put golfballs back in theMB's?

5. Kelsie2290

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Ya, I always have fake eggs/golf balls in the nest boxes. X2 chickens like to lay where there are already eggs.

6. pamsmithtulsa

pamsmithtulsa Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Will putting golf balls in their nesting boxes also stimulate them lay eggs?

7. Kelsie2290

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    It does not make them lay more or sooner in my experience, don't remember ever reading read anything that indicates it will either. It pretty much is just the chicken see chicken do effect with regards to where they will lay eggs.

8. pamsmithtulsa

pamsmithtulsa Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Okay thanks! I wil add some to their nests and see if they are maybe laying somewhere that I can't find.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by