Egg in Feces

xoxodanamarie

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 17, 2018
New Jersey
We recently, about a month ago, adopted 2 (seemingly healthy) Rhodies we named Laverne and Shirley. They are both very sweet, Shirley is quite chatty and they have both been good layers that integrated well into the flock. While Laverne and the rest of our free ranging flock seem to be happy and healthy, Shirley has over the last 1-2 weeks developed a very dirty vent, dark loose (and stinky!) stool, and over the last couple of days I'm finding soft shell pieces and egg contents in her feces. She otherwise seems fine and I'm not sure what to do for her as the vet is not an option right now. Any suggestions?

We recently, about a month ago, adopted 2 (seemingly healthy) Rhodies we named Laverne and Shirley. They are both very sweet, Shirley is quite chatty and they have both been good layers that integrated well into the flock. While Laverne and the rest of our free ranging flock seem to be happy and healthy, Shirley has over the last 1-2 weeks developed a very dirty vent, dark loose (and stinky!) stool, and over the last couple of days I'm finding soft shell pieces and egg contents in her feces. She otherwise seems fine and I'm not sure what to do for her as the vet is not an option right now. Any suggestions?
Sounds like she's laying soft shell/no shell eggs. Or internal laying. If you aren't proving a calcium source such as layer feed or oyster shell I would do so asap.

I do have layer feed but I wonder if she's not getting enough of it or eating other things instead. I'll get some oyster shell and see if that helps.
You mentioned they are free range so they may not be eating enough of it. If they go crazy over the oyster shell then that is the issue. I feed mine boiled eggs as treats and usually feed the whole egg shell and all and this provides calcium. Having oyster shell out freely is always a good idea sometimes each girl just needs a little extra.

Back
Top Bottom