1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

egg in run??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chelschix, May 11, 2011.

1. chelschix

chelschix Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2010
    Illinois
    all of my chickens lay their eggs in the nesting boxes Except my Americauna! she keeps laying it in the dirt in the run??

2. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    THE NERVE!! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I have an EE that does that. I think she doesn't want to wait her turn for the nest box or something. Who knows? They usually end up so dirty and gross that I hard boil them and feed them back to her and her buddies. Hmmmm....perhaps she knows what she's doing....

4. chelschix

Nov 1, 2010
    Illinois
    hmm well i hope she stops i want them to be cleannn, i think she just wants to be outside allday and wont take time to go lay in a box

5. Jessie66

Jessie66 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    Prince George, BC
    Hi there, Have you seen your hen actually lay the egg? I thought one of my hens was doing the same thing (laying eggs in the dirt) until one day I saw her in her nesting box laying an egg and when she got out, there was nothing in the box. The egg was actually getting temporarily stuck in the fluff around her vent. She walked around a bit, and then the egg fell out in the run. I trimmed the fluff around her vent and it solved the problem. Maybe the same thing is happening with your gal?

6. chelschix

Nov 1, 2010
    Illinois
    ohhhh, well that could be. im gonna have to keep a closer watch on her.. i havent seen her actually lay it i just find it out there.
    That may be hard to trim her featthers she dosent let me get too really close.

7. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Quote:Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG]

That is also a funny image in my head... An egg hanging from her butt fluff... Lol.

8. Jessie66

Jessie66 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    Prince George, BC
    Thanks for the welcome! I suppose I should introduce myself on the new member category [​IMG] ...butt fluff...hahaha...could only be made cute on a chicken... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by