egg incubator temperature and humidity

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bildova, Oct 16, 2014.

1. bildova

bildova Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2014
    i was wondering if 103 temp and 31% humidity is good for hatching ? i know the temp is pretty good but the humidity is low not sure how to get it up higher. i have a good size bowl of water in the incubator any help would be so great also kinda off subject but if anyone knows someone that has or has themselves some Exchequer Leghorn hatching eggs for sale [​IMG] please PM if you would

tyvm [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  2. Toddrick

Toddrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana
    I learned real quick that it is better to have your temps slightly low than too high. I assume you don't have any air circulation, but even that way I think 102 is the max. I have a fan and I keep mine at 100 max.

31 is like room humidity, and you do want it higher ideally. I've been aiming for 45 during these first two weeks. A big bowl of water is a lot. How big is your incubator? It shouldn't take much water at all. The surface area, not the depth, is what matters. If you have a screen over the floor, you can pour water onto the floor and let it spread everywhere. Too much air will let the humidity out though, so you might have to cover some air holes with tape.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  3. bildova

Oct 14, 2014
    yeah there air circulation i have the incubator in my grow tent in my room. it's plastic medium sized box. i think i might be to large to be using as an incubator. and the bowl is a wide opening bowl not very deep though. i think if i add another small fan it'll lower the temp some and raise the humidity

4. Dcat

Dcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2014
    AA County Maryland
    My understanding is 102 is the highest you want to go and that would be with a still air. The first incubator I built is a still air. I poked holes in the top and bottom for circulation and would sometimes have to open the lid slightly if the temps started to spike. I kept my cieling fan running too. I have a metal screen about 1/2 off the bottom and would pour the water in there instead of a bowl, the bowl wasn't giving me the humidity I needed.
    In the process of building another incubator with a fan so I'll keep my temps at 100 max with that one and test with a bowl of water first to see if it keeps my humidity up or if I need to put it all in the bottom again.
    A lot of times you need the water to cover more area rather than being deeper to get your humidity where it needs to be in a still air. This is just from my limited experience as I've only done two hatches so far.

5. Dcat

Dcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2014
    AA County Maryland
    Sorry, one more thing. 31% humidity is good for incubating(dry hatching) but when you go into lockdown you want it to be higher for sure.

6. bildova

Oct 14, 2014
    tyvm, and yes that's what i was going to try lol but good news i found someone that will have exchequer leghorn chicks in Nov for me :D but again tyvm for all your help and i will be fixing my incubator which im sure will be used someday lol oh and i had another question i should of added this b4 but is sphagnum moss a good idea for anything ? i grow it for my VFT's so fig it would be good to use maybe in the incubator and or the brooder cause it's really soft and clean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by