Egg incubators for corturnix?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by sammit, Nov 6, 2013.

1. sammit

sammit Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    looking into getting a small incubator (around 25-50 eggs) and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations? i live in australia so companies that can post over here would be greatly welcome! im looking at getting one that has a turner in it and ive found one on ebay for $70 but that seems a bit steep to me for something so small??

2. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Sammit, like you, when I first got into the quail hobby, I wanted to get a "small" incubator. Initially, I had no intention to incubate any more than 20 or 30 eggs. I ended up getting a Farm Innovators 4200 (same size as a Little Giant or Hova Bator), which came with an automatic turner which can turn 120 quail eggs. Later on, I was glad that I purchased an incubator that can hold more than 50 eggs. And trust me, hatching quail is the most rewarding and fun thing anyone can do.

If you do change your mind (about getting a "small" incubator), here is a link to one of the sponsors of our site that has one on sale. I don't know if they do international orders, but anytime I can help promote the sponsors who help make this site possible, I'm all for it.
    James

3. keepmumsane

keepmumsane Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    featherston
    i bought a roto hatch , I 'm in New Zealand, they're expensive here, mine cost me $160 on special, and only does a dozen hens eggs. I have 24 quail in it now.
    I'll be watching to see what you find..have a feeling this could turn into a big habit! :0
    I can see that buying bigger than you think you need, would be a good plan. With the expected hatch rate of posted eggs at 50% the larger numbers start to make real sense.
    good luck.

4. sammit

Aug 25, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    reason i wanted "small" was i dont have the room to hatch out and keep hundreds of quail. i want them for eggs and food but cant really afford to feed or house 50+ birds. i currently have 11 (soon most will be culled cause boys taste good) but i wanted to keep a male for breeding purposes.

i was thinking small as well because if i keep buying the young like i do and growing them out to cull or keep, theres only one lady in my area that sells them. and she charges $40 per 10 3wk old chicks.

5. sammit

Aug 25, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    i tried out that site to see what international shipping would be and it was ridiculous. couldnt find any info on it.

6. keepmumsane

keepmumsane Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    featherston
    not sure in the incubator.co.nz here would ship to you..might be cheaper..I bought my heat lamp off them and they were super helpful

7. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Sammit,
    Here is a site that I go to when I want to build something cheaper than it would be to buy brand new. This may be the way for you to go. I hope it helps.
    James

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by