Egg Inside an Egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by EquestrianGal, Jun 25, 2011.

1. EquestrianGal

EquestrianGal Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    Yesterday I cracked open one of our eggs to find this:

[​IMG]
    a very small, but clearly formed egg INSIDE. The big egg seemed maybe a little larger than normal, I thought maybe it was one with two yolks.

I then cracked open the little egg out of curiosity. Can you see the teeny-tiny yolk?

[​IMG]

I just thought it was fun, and I doubt I will see that again!

2. JP101010

JP101010 Chillin' With My Peeps

woww thats weird. I am wondering what would have happened if the eggs had been fertile and incubated???
    [​IMG] conjoined chicks?![​IMG]

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Very cool

Imp

4. drsooseme2

drsooseme2 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    Marysville
    Wow that's cool. If you didn't post a picture I might not believe it! They sure are neat creatures.

5. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Back in the late 60's I had a hen who did that twice (almost 3 times). My mother called around and no one had ever heard of it happening before.. so she even alerted the local newspaper (ok.. so it was the end of the 60's and we lived in a small town.. so pretty much everything was newsworthy). About a week later the hen died trying to pass "egg in an egg # 3". In all the years since I have never had it happen again from any of our girls.. so it seems to be pretty rare when it does happen.

6. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    I've had weird eggs, but this tops 'em. Heard of it, only due to research on the strange creations of one of my girls! Wow! Thanks for sharing![​IMG]

7. PeppermintHen

PeppermintHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    Congratulations!! What kind of chicken do you have that laid this egg?

8. CluelessChick

CluelessChick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    that is the strangest thing i have ever seen, thanks for the pics, it would have been unbelievable without them!

9. Stingrayg4

Stingrayg4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Crazy! Thanks for sharing.

-S

10. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Wow, have never seen that one in all the years I have been keeping layers (have heard tales) and thanks for posting that as now I have seen one...er...2!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by