Egg inside Giant Egg! *pics*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by StacyK, Sep 1, 2009.

1. StacyK

StacyK Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2009
    Sumner, WA
    So, I got my first egg on Friday, YAY!! From one of my RIRs. She laid it in the sand under the coop. Oh well, first try! [​IMG] We already had plans for a weekend trip & left that night, after asking my Dad to check for eggs if he came over to check the garden.

Came home Sunday evening & found two more eggs, in the nest box this time! YAY, fast learner. Then my Dad called & said he had picked up two earlier Sunday, one huge & one tiny! Huh, must have two that started laying & those ones were from Saturday.

So I went over & got them last night, the one was truly giant, about 2.5 times the size of others. Wondered if it was maybe a double or even triple yolker! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what I found, an almost normal size egg inside the giant one! Had read on here about it happening, but was suprised to get one on the first or second egg [​IMG] ETA: Both the large & smaller eggs had yolks. We didn't eat them since the large egg had some thin spots on the shell & the yolk did have a couple brownish spots.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  2. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    wow! that is totally cool!

:)

3. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    Great idea to take pics. Congrats on your girls starting to lay.

4. MoTownChickie

MoTownChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2009
    Modesto, California
    Ouchie. Bet that would hurt since your pullets are new at the egg laying business.

5. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Wow my RIR laid an extra big egg like that just the other day...i willbe cracking that open when I get home!

6. StacyK

May 20, 2009
    Sumner, WA
    Quote:Be sure to let us know what's inside. It will be interesting to compare [​IMG]

Nobody seemed injured after this egg, and I've gotten more since, so guess she's ok! LOL!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  7. sbarab

sbarab Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Conroe, TX
    Wow! That is really cool. I so would have eaten them.

8. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    I bet that one hurt but was very neat! I am glad you took pictures.

9. StacyK

May 20, 2009
    Sumner, WA
    Quote:Oh, and thanks AKTomboy! Now just waiting on my EEs, they look another couple weeks off still.

10. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Wow!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by