egg is moving...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bluedawg, Nov 18, 2008.

1. bluedawg

bluedawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Croton on Hudson
    It is day 18 and I have moved 5 eggs into the hatcher this morning. Where the humidity and temp is perfect [​IMG] I just got home from work and the thing is I just looked at the eggs and one is moving. Is this common that they can rock their eggs 3 days before hatch?

2. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    they can hatch early it your bator was off a little

3. bluedawg

Jul 7, 2008
    Croton on Hudson
    is that ok? my bator way definatley up a degree and down a degree often... I had to do a lot of ajusting.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Mine always hatch early. You may have problems with them, but honestly mine never do. What type are they?

5. bluedawg

Jul 7, 2008
    Croton on Hudson
    these are black copper Marans. I hope they are ok. What kind of problems?

6. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Oh gosh, they can have things like less down on their bodies, rough navels, not absorbing the yolk, all kinds of things. Is this the first time you've used this bator? I would have went with something a bit less expensive!
    They can take up to 48 hours to hatch after pipping the internal membrane though, so just seeing them move does not mean they will hatch early. Mine always hatch around day 19. I always have at least 1 hatch on day 18, and they are done by day 20. Mine did this ever since the first hatch I did, and it still does it. The first hatch I did had the temp fluctuating between 98 & 102, and i have fixed that. So the temp swing did not cause it. I have heard a swing in temp between 97 & 102 is fine, provided it doesn't stay at either extreme for too long.

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Eggs can and do rock sometimes for 3 -4 days before hatching. You may even hear some peeping before the eggs pip. Sending you good vibes for a good hatch!

8. bluedawg

Jul 7, 2008
    Croton on Hudson
    ok, well - I think I did a good job then. The temp never got over 101 and when it hit 101 i was right there to adjust it down. it did get down to 97.5 and agan I was rightthere to adjust it up so they should be ok - we'll see [​IMG] Thanks for sharing your experience. i feel much better now. perhapse I'll have a little peep in the bator in the morning.

9. bluedawg

Jul 7, 2008
    Croton on Hudson
    ok maybe I didn't do such a good job. I got three out of 9 to hatch. two have very little down and seam to be intent on eating each other. The third, while fluffy and adorable, does not seam to be able to keep it's balance.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  10. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Get some poly-vi-sol drops to give them, it may help the one that is not doing so well. And don't beat yourself up over the hatch rate. I have been having quite a bit of trouble with my eggs lately. I think it is from the weather. idk, but I didn't have hardly any problems this summer. Hope your little one gets better!! [​IMG] Are the ones that are trying to 'eat' each other nice and fluffy? If not, get a baby hair brush to 'fluff' them up with. If they are fluffy, just leave them be. Make sure you 'peck' the food with your finger to show them what to do. They may just be hungry. But I know with the chicks I have hatched, the ones that had a black beak with white egg tooth always got picked on. Just too much contrast on their tooths!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by