Egg is stuck in membraney sac - Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by davidatalverta, Nov 1, 2013.

1. davidatalverta

davidatalverta New Egg

Nov 1, 2013
    Western Maryland
    [​IMG]

Help!

This afternoon I went out to hang out with my chickens and noticed one of our welsummer hens had this huge blob hanging off her bottom. I washed her off with warm water and a paper towel (as best I could, she's a lively one) but the blob remains. After taking a closer look, it seems like she's got an egg stuck in this membraney sac that's hanging down. I can't find a way to help push the egg out but maybe I'm not looking in the right place. Will she lay this like any other egg or is there something I should be doing to help her along?

She doesn't seem overly distressed, she's just walking a little funny.

2. JDMchickens

JDMchickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2013
    To me it seems like eggbound gone wrong!!

If she hasn't layed for a while, the build up of eggs inside could have pushed that one out a little more then it should have.

To remove the egg put on a glove and use lubricant to slowly ease the egg out.

Hope I've helped!

3. davidatalverta

davidatalverta New Egg

Nov 1, 2013
    Western Maryland
    Good news, the egg is out!

I might not have been explicit in my original post about this but there actually was no opening for me to help the egg through. This large sac was attached to the poor girl's vent and only got thicker as it got closer to her. As I was moving the egg around inside the sac I noticed a small hole the size of a tiny bead that I could see the egg through. Using a heat sterilized knife I was able to make an incision across the membrane and free the egg. The incision didn't bleed nor did the chicken seem uncomfortable. She's moving around the yard much better now but I'm going to continue to keep an eye on her.

Not all of our girls are laying yet, so we're not sure if this was her first egg. I could not find any experiences that seemed similar to this so I wanted to make sure to add an update on the outcome.

4. imeridian

imeridian New Egg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by