Egg Issue Causing Other Issues

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by halimak1, Jan 18, 2017.

1. halimak1

halimak1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2016
    North Alabama
    Can anyone give me tips on how to fix this issue? I have one duck that has been laying these type of weakened eggs for a couple of weeks now. They ae all young ducks, having started laying in 2016. They have access to oyster shells and are pasture raised with a supplimental feed... This has caused one of my ducks to become an egg eater!! Nooo! Let me know if any other info would be helpful to pin down the problem. Thanks in advance!
    [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Maybe this will give some clues.

One of my Runners [young layer ]was laying eggs like that. I started feeding layer along with Oyster shell on the side and she finally lays a normal egg most of the time. Every once in a while I'll see another one like that.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems

3. halimak1

Sep 18, 2016
    North Alabama
    Thank you! I was looking for that page, I must have typed the wrong thing in the search. It's a funny thing, cause I have the oyster shell available to them and one looks like the above^^ and I have another layer that has obviously been eating too many because she has chalky shells... The weather has been really weird with really warm days. I am kind of hoping it is because of that and will get better when/if temps even out. [​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    We're having unusual weather too way above normal. I even have a Buff duck molting.. It could be the weird weather .

5. halimak1

Sep 18, 2016
    North Alabama
    Yes!! I thought coyotes got to my ducks because of all the feathers!

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I sometimes give the soft shell layer special treats with calcium citrate in them. I crush half a tablet and sprinkle it on peas.

1 person likes this.
  7. halimak1

Sep 18, 2016
    North Alabama
    I have all pekins... do you have any pointers on how to figure out which one is the layer needing treats? @Amiga

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Some have dabbed vents with food coloring in the evening before ducky bedtime.

9. halimak1

Sep 18, 2016
    North Alabama
    Awesome! Thanks I will do that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by