EGG ISSUE

djcram

Chirping
Aug 26, 2019
Can any one tell me when we're frying our eggs, the whites are watery, and the yolk membrane so weak they break?

Egg storage is probably to blame. Eggs stored at too high a temp and low humidity will cause this problem. Eggs stored over a long period will degrade like this, and older hens will also lay eggs with thinner whites.

If you live where its very warm, if the egg is left in the nest on a hot day before cooled down, it will degrade, also.

Egg storage is probably to blame. Eggs stored at too high a temp and low humidity will cause this problem. Eggs stored over a long period will degrade like this, and older hens will also lay eggs with thinner whites.

If you live where its very warm, if the egg is left in the nest on a hot day before cooled down, it will degrade, also.
do you consider 2 year old hens older? These are my first chickens so I don't know the average life. we do live in warmer/humid conditions (at times) but I never leave the eggs in the nest more than a few hours. I usually go check twice a day and they get put directly into the fridge. We rarely have the eggs on hand more than a week before eating them. We only have 3 hens and only 2 lay daily (mostly)....

do you consider 2 year old hens older? These are my first chickens so I don't know the average life. we do live in warmer/humid conditions (at times) but I never leave the eggs in the nest more than a few hours. I usually go check twice a day and they get put directly into the fridge. We rarely have the eggs on hand more than a week before eating them. We only have 3 hens and only 2 lay daily (mostly)....
It depends on the breed... are they production chickens?

I would say, generally a hen isn't "old" until age four. I have hens laying regularly and good quality at age seven.

There can be health issue responsible, also, for low quality. Cancer, some respiratory and reproductive infections for examples. I suggest trying to identify the hen that laid the egg.

A chicken with health issues may be behaving differently, and may have unusual poop.

Back
Top Bottom