Egg issue

elight23

Chirping
13 Years
May 2, 2008
Bellevue, WA
I have 3 18-month-old hens. One of my hens is a Rhode Island White. She used to be a great layer but then her eggshells started getting soft, about 3 months ago. Now her eggshells are completely soft and squishy and she just leaves a mess in the box. I've been so busy I haven't had time to solve this. She has layer feed and access to quality oyster shell and probiotic grit. I have not changed her feed and the other two still lay like crazy. She does have a poopy bottom, ( all three do and I've never had this issue before in 14 years of raising) but her vent looks good - so I am confused. I have sprayed her bottom with ACV and probiotics and that didn't change anything. I also cleaned up their water bowl and now use a glass dish just to make sure the water is clean. I have added Diotamacious Earth to the nesting box and dirt bath area. She doesn't seem to have mites. The feathers on the front of her neck have been sparse to bear for about two months with no change at all. She gets mealworms and veggies and has a nice run.
Help! Any ideas of what it could be?

I have 3 18-month-old hens. One of my hens is a Rhode Island White. She used to be a great layer but then her eggshells started getting soft, about 3 months ago. Now her eggshells are completely soft and squishy and she just leaves a mess in the box. I've been so busy I haven't had time to solve this. She has layer feed and access to quality oyster shell and probiotic grit. I have not changed her feed and the other two still lay like crazy. She does have a poopy bottom, ( all three do and I've never had this issue before in 14 years of raising) but her vent looks good - so I am confused. I have sprayed her bottom with ACV and probiotics and that didn't change anything. I also cleaned up their water bowl and now use a glass dish just to make sure the water is clean. I have added Diotamacious Earth to the nesting box and dirt bath area. She doesn't seem to have mites. The feathers on the front of her neck have been sparse to bear for about two months with no change at all. She gets mealworms and veggies and has a nice run.
Help! Any ideas of what it could be?
Does she have any symptoms? Or just that, to me it sounds like she isnt getting enough calcium. Im sure shes fine! :):)

But why would it be just her and she has nice fresh oyster shell available. And then there's the poppy bottom, though clean vent. Could it be worms?

But why would it be just her and she has nice fresh oyster shell available. And then there's the poppy bottom, though clean vent. Could it be worms?
Sometimes some are different then others, they might need more calcium for laying eggs Maybe, maybe their early layers so need extra, etc. it could be worms, yes, try watching her stool and see if you see any unusal activity

Her stool looks normal and has been, but the three hens all have messy bottom feathers, so I'm confused. The 8 pullets I have all look great with no mess. It's a mystery to me. I saw on another thread about hiding oyster shell or powder in yogurt so I will try that. I have noticed that the other hens eat the eggshells and she doesn't so many she's just not getting enough. Thank you for you reply.

Her stool looks normal and has been, but the three hens all have messy bottom feathers, so I'm confused. The 8 pullets I have all look great with no mess. It's a mystery to me. I saw on another thread about hiding oyster shell or powder in yogurt so I will try that. I have noticed that the other hens eat the eggshells and she doesn't so many she's just not getting enough. Thank you for you reply.
Of course. Yes, i find hiding it in their feed is a good way. Have you tried giving her light mash? (Just curious)

In the past, when I had more time, I used to feed a mash. I'll likely get yogurt today and tomorrow I'll make some oatmeal and try hiding it in there.
Thanks

Can you try to rule out a calcium deficiency by giving her a human calcium tablet or Tums daily by mouth for the next week to see if that helps her shells? Some hens may have a reproductive issue in the shell gland of the oviduct that causes shell-less eggs. I had a great young layer who I witnessed getting injured by a neighbor dog. She went from laying huge eggs every day to stopping for 3 months, molting, and from then on laid a shell-less egg. She died of a reproductive disorder at 2 1/2. Shell-less eggs can have several causes.

Back
Top Bottom