Egg issues - today, shell-less

micstrachan

Addict
7 Years
Apr 10, 2016
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
A few mornings ago, there were TWO fresh, very thin shelled, broken eggs near the nesting boxes. It seemed like they might have come from the same bird. Does this happen? Since then, there have been two pinkish eggs with “chalky” shells and uneven pigment. One even had calcium streaks/deposits on it. I don’t know who’s having issues. Thought it might be Ruby or Millie, but they botth laid normal eggs today. I thought Lucky did, too. At least, she sat in her favorite laying spot for awhile and there was a warm egg there, so I’m pretty sure. But late in the day, Lucky had a weird, upright stance. I asked, “Are you OK, Lucky?” because she started sort of drooping her wings. Then she pushed out a shell-less egg. What is going on? Buttercup also seemed just slightly off today, and I’ve been hovering over Ruby, my adventure girl, who seems completely normal aside from being a little thin. A recent fecal sample came back negative for parasite overload. My girls get organic layer crumble, and always have free choice oyster shell and grit. I keep lots of water stations and keep them clean. Lucky is a 30-week old Blue Laced Red Wyandotte. She seems very hearty and is at the top of the pecking order for the pullets. She roosts alongside the top ranked hen.

We occasionally get a few of those here, too - and I can usually pin point it to a little too much protein in their diet. Free ranging birds, and even some of our cooped friends either find lots of yummy bugs, or con too many meal worms out of us. What is the protein content on the crumble? 16% for layers is usually plenty, especially for those who over produce. The fact that your birds seem able to expelled them is a good sign, but try limiting protein intake for a while to see if things stabilize. Best of luck!

I had the same problem with my Buff Orpington I felt bad for her it was like she was embarrassed it was happening, kept laying in places the other chickens wouldn't see. I noticed my hens didn't really enjoy the oyster shell like they liked their other treats so I started giving them spoonfuls of organic plain greek yogurt in the morning. They love the yogurt and it contains calcium so it fixed my issue. Hopefully doing that will help.

Same with my hens. just gave them a bit more calcium and they laid normal. :)
(btw: would yoghurt help an egg bound hen?)

thanks mseely- you can see my other thread about my hen. we just discussing it now.
mistrachan, hope your hen is alright!

Egg problems are very common. The more chickens and different ages you have, the more unusual eggs or problems you will see. If you have ever had a mild case of infectious bronchitis in your flock, and you may not have even noticed it, you may see wrinkled shells, thin shell, and watery whites. With new or very old layers, you may see shell-less eggs. Those can be hard to pass, so along with a too large egg, they can cause egg binding. I have seen powdery or bumpy eggs that are usually from mineral deposits. Since most of these things only affect one chicken out of the group, it usually isn't because you are not feeding enough calcium, but that there is a problem with the chicken. Of course chickens need calcium, usually from layer feed or from giving free choice crushed oyster shell or crushed egg shells fed back. My chickens will grab crushed egg shells a lot better than oyster shell. Here are some good articles to read if you are interested:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/
https://www.alltech.com/animal-nutrition/poultry/challenges/poultry-egg-quality

Thanks. Lucky, who laid the shell-less egg in the middle of the yard last night, is NOT the hen laying “chalky” eggs. Still not sure who that is, but today it was mishapen.
Lucky is in her favorite laying spot again today (on the floor in the corner, not sure why she doesn’t use box), but hasn’t laid yet. Posting pics of Lucky in the coop and the mishapen egg I found late this morning.
0AF5471F-5185-4096-884C-18C5B97335AB.jpeg
CD06D60D-986E-4FC3-821A-1F44BB273178.jpeg

Egg problems are very common. The more chickens and different ages you have, the more unusual eggs or problems you will see. If you have ever had a mild case of infectious bronchitis in your flock, and you may not have even noticed it, you may see wrinkled shells, thin shell, and watery whites. With new or very old layers, you may see shell-less eggs. Those can be hard to pass, so along with a too large egg, they can cause egg binding. I have seen powdery or bumpy eggs that are usually from mineral deposits. Since most of these things only affect one chicken out of the group, it usually isn't because you are not feeding enough calcium, but that there is a problem with the chicken. Of course chickens need calcium, usually from layer feed or from giving free choice crushed oyster shell or crushed egg shells fed back. My chickens will grab crushed egg shells a lot better than oyster shell. Here are some good articles to read if you are interested:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/
https://www.alltech.com/animal-nutrition/poultry/challenges/poultry-egg-quality

Great info, thanks for sharing! :)

Back
Top Bottom