egg laid from roost??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tala, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I went to check on the chickens just after dark, around 5.30pm. I had left them locked in the coop today because I suspected that they were hiding eggs in the yard (now I don't think so) I found two cold Leghorn eggs in the box, as usual --- but my Queenie (red sexlink) had a warm egg under her spot on the roost. It had sawdust stuck to it on the side it was laying on, so I guess she laid it from the roost and the sawdust stuck before it dried. It was a normal egg, brown and round like she always lays -- just that she laid it after dark.
    On my way out I reached through the fence to turn off my fluorescent shop light that I use until I get everything hardwired -- and the darn thing shocked me! grrrr! I always suspected I might get it from some of my rigged up homeade contraptions, not a relatively new storebought light.

Should I be concerned about her laying schedule?

As a side note, my springy-feeling bedding of sawdust (wetted pine pellets, re-dried out) is springy enough to catch an egg dropped from 3ft up without breaking it. [​IMG]

2. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Our hens do it once in a while. I do not think that you should worry.

3. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    yep, mine do that too, on occasion.... they will get back on schedule.... no worries.....

4. kcsunshine

kcsunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Maryville, Tennessee
    Happens to me too, sometimes....Yucky when it lands in poop!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by