egg/lash bound ??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickypoo4, Nov 24, 2012.

1. chickypoo4

chickypoo4 New Egg

Aug 1, 2010
    My 2.5 year old BR has something not quite egg size stuck in her vent. I have kept the poor thing soaking in warm bath for up to 45 minutes at a time x3 with warm moist compressess(which she did not like) in between. Have slathered her exposed vent area with vaoline. She is now sitting in a box with a hot water bottle.
    What I see; quarter sized pus colored firm -(hard boiled egg-ish but yellowish) just coming out of her prolapsing vent.Some blood at area but not much She is alternately pushing(straining) and resting(very uncomfortable)No shell noted.
    She has a history last summer of passing a strange shaped egg with a membrainous (? sp) tail once.

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I would very carefully remove the the stuff coming from her vent and gently squirt a couple of cc's of KY Jelly in her vent and see if you can get her to pass the rest.

3. chickypoo4

chickypoo4 New Egg

Aug 1, 2010
    I am afraid that I will puncture her vent wall trying to push something past

4. chickypoo4

chickypoo4 New Egg

Aug 1, 2010
    Ok, I tried to help her pass this "yellowtissue" (it honestly looks like pale hard boiled egg yolk) . We got a very small amount out but when she pushes her entire "inside" prolapses to her out side. I do think I may be sick :( I feel so bad for her.
    She is not acting like I am killing her, though she doesn't like it. I
    can run my finger around the yellow stuff. she is pushing hard. It is weird because whatever is there is not huge yet she cant seem to pass it.
    I am going to give her another warm water soak. hopefully that will help this poor chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by