Egg Lay frequency for new layers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by caligirl0733, Jul 2, 2016.

1. caligirl0733

caligirl0733 New Egg

May 17, 2016
    Northern California
    I got my first egg from my girls last night and a second this afternoon, I am assuming they are from 2 different chickens. I was curious will they start laying on a regular basis now that they have started or will it be sporadic? My other question is will the chickens that haven't begun to lay start to lay sooner if they see others doing it?

Thanks

***4 Barred Plymouth Rocks, 6 Sexlinks, 1 Buff Orpington and 1 Dominique

2. Thebernards

Thebernards Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2014
    My leghorn came out the gate laying every day for 10 days straight and then took a couple days off and is back at it again it seems. My others lay anywhere from every other day, to every third day, to a few days straight (like 3/4 days) then a couple off. I've seen the same breed do different things so it just depends on the bird. I'm sure closer to a year old you will have a better "average" for each hen. [​IMG][​IMG]

3. azjustin

azjustin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    @caligirl0733 I was going to say "you won't know until it happens" but this about sums it up... [​IMG]

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Some start laying regularly right away. Others take a up to 2 or 3 months to get into a regular laying cycle.

5. caligirl0733

caligirl0733 New Egg

May 17, 2016
    Northern California
    I am so excited to finally get eggs that I am not getting impatient waiting for them all to start laying. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by