egg layed with cracked shell

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cloudlet, Feb 10, 2009.

1. cloudlet

cloudlet Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2008
    Loveland, Colorado
    Hi,

My Blue Andalusian has, for the past two days, layed an egg that is cracked at the narrow end. Yesterday, I thought maybe another hen may have cracked it because there were two eggs when I collected. But today, she was the first to lay. The shell is thin at the narrow end (and overall much thinner that the other two hens lay) and she lays the biggest eggs of the the three. Has anyone experienced this before and can you offer any suggestions? I feed them back their eggshells, but maybe she needs more.

Thanks.

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Are you feeding layer pellets and oyster shell?

3. cloudlet

Jul 4, 2008
    Loveland, Colorado
    I'm feeding layer pellets and then just feeding them back their egg shells. They other two have very thick shells, but maybe she needs more the oyster shell.

4. warren

warren Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2007
    UK
    Could she be needing a moult? If her head is bald she might be starting.

5. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I would just stick a bowl of oyster shell out just in case.

6. cloudlet

Jul 4, 2008
    Loveland, Colorado
    Thanks for the thoughts. I'll put a bowl of oyster shells out and see if it helps.

As for the moult, she shouldn't be, she's only 6 months old and has only been laying for about a month. I looked back at her shells and until yesterday, they were fairly thick.

Thanks again for the help.

7. onefatgerman

onefatgerman Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2009
    I had some with cracked shells. Thought maybe they were poking at them, but also noticed I didn't have much nesting material in the box. Adding a cushion must have helped because I haven't had a cracked shell since.

8. cloudlet

Jul 4, 2008
    Loveland, Colorado
    That's a good point! They've been pushing the nesting material out of the way and part of the nest box is bare on the bottom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by