egg layers and a game rooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mtn Cur, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Mtn Cur

Mtn Cur Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Seymour, Tn
    I know roosters have two purposes in life fertility and protection. I'm more concerned about the protection aspect since I have sex links. Anybody ever tried this before?

2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Not sure what your question is - but if your asking will your sex link rooster protect his flock? You bet he will! Unless he's chicken:p

3. Mtn Cur

Mtn Cur Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Seymour, Tn
    Yes, sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm wanting a gentle to humans- rooster which most games are, or atleast the ones i've been around are. And I got a good idea the rooster I have now is going to be mean. And was looking at maybe getting a game rooster to watch over the girls. I have no intention to hatch fertile eggs reguardless of what rooster I end up with.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  4. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    I see.

You are correct in that some breeds are much nicer than others. I wish I knew all of the nice ones then I would tell you for sure. Ragardless, you need to teach your rooster you are the boss. Or even the nicest breed will become mean.

Start with giving him the stink eye & walking directly to him when every you see him or enter the pen. Once he gets the idea you are trying to get him he will start running away. next catch him & hold him upside down by his feet. he will throw a fit, but don't let go until he submits (usually w/i 30 seconds). then just let him go.

he will know you are the boss & be nice as a kitten to people. If he thinks he should be the boss he can attack you & become very mean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by