1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg layers with meat birds?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mcf3kids, Apr 8, 2011.

1. mcf3kids

mcf3kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Can I raise baby chicks together when some are destined to be egg layers and kept and some that will be used for meat? I am wondering if I can feed the chicks all the same food because they would be housed together. Is this possible and if so what kind of chicks would I get for my meat birds? Thanks guys!!!

2. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    Yes, you can mix them.
    Cornish X are the fastest growing meat birds.
    They all eat the same thing.

3. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I don't keep my cornish x with the other chicks because I measure how much food they get each day. The CX will eat constantly as long as food is available. The will take a nap when their crop is full though.
    Even though they grow faster, it should be OK for the first week or 2. They won't pick on the other chicks, they don't like to move around much.

4. hipeatall

hipeatall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    I had a great experience raising some together. I got slow grow meat / dual purpose birds from S&G Poultry. We raised their Naked Necks and Rainbows. All were healthy, happy and active birds.

5. mcf3kids

mcf3kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    That is great news!! Thanks - I was looking at the Naked Necks and was wondering at what age they would be large enough to process? I would be maxing out my coop space with a min order of 25 but if they could be processed during early fall it would work nicely. I have never raised chicks before and know when to expect the egg layers to start laying but am really wondering if the Nakeds might be ready to process a little before 20 weeks. Thank you for your help!!

6. hipeatall

hipeatall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by