egg layers

twotmama

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 4, 2009
Can anyone tell me which chickens are the best egg layers?

Last edited:
That depends on what kind of eggs you want. Brown,dark brown, white,green,blue.

The best thing for you to do is go on to my www.mypetchicken.com, Ideal hatchery or other hatchery sites.

Most of them tell you how many days out of the year you can expect to get an egg from each breed and what color eggs thy lay and what size eggs they generally lay.

Alot of people like a variety of colors so they order a variety of chickens. You will also learn some about their temperment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look here > http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html for LOTS of info, for a smaller selection which covers the breeds that John Henderson has personal experience with look at the link at the top called "Our Flock"

Either way the breeds I have experience with are spot on and I don't know of anyone who has said there is a thing wrong with any of it, and there's a LOT of useful info there.

The MyPetChicken tool is probably useful too, but wasn't really comprehensive enough for me.

For brown eggs Isa browns are in a class by themselfs. I have 3 laying now that have not missed a day since Jan 1. Below freezing all month here in Michigan The eggs are jumbo size which is 30 oz. per doz. You wouldn't be sorry with red sexlinks.

I got 4 Isa browns in March and I have been getting 4 xlarge brown eggs everyday since they were 26 weeks old. We have had temps of -22 and even lower if you factor in wind chill. My coop is draft free but is not insulated.
They are also very sweet and eat treats from our hands.

thanks for the input all the eggs come in handy raising three boys that love to eat.

I don't know how to order them or what hatcheries have them, but this site has THE egg layers that lay the very most eggs from what I've been able to find.

EGG LAYERS!

Back
Top Bottom