Egg Layers...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by harleyjo, Sep 17, 2010.

1. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    What breeds will most consistantly give me an egg a day? I know that no breed is going to give me one 365 days a year, but what breeds lay the most in a year?

2. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Production Reds/Rhode Island Reds
    Australorps
    Leghorns
    Plymouth Rocks (had two barred hens that each laid me an egg a day just about even through winter [​IMG] )
    Probably black and/or red sex links too

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    The very best egg layers I have had are

1. Black Sex Link... I had one that didn't miss a day in over 3 months.

2. Ideal 236.... Look like little dalmations as chicks. Leghorn, White Egg Laying machines.

3. Barred Rocks... 5-6 eggs every week and sometimes 7.

4. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    White leghorns-colored don't do nearly as well My leghorns do as well as the Ideal version...hard to beat 70+ gram eggs at least 6 days a week which is what my legs give me
    Sex links-black and gold both do great
    Plymouth Rocks-all colors my blues and buffs do just as great as my blue..my buffs are more broody though

5. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    This is great. This is exactly what I want to hear as I am building my flock for next year in my notes already. Keep it coming folks! Thanks!

6. awalters0815

awalters0815 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Plainfield, IN
    A Black Australorp set the record a few years back with 364 eggs in the first year of laying.

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  8. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Henderson eggs estimates are very inaccurate and for rough reference only.

For exemple they show Australorp and Ameraucana as 4 eggs a day. That's big underestimate of Australop egglying capacity.

Australorps are one ot the best layers in the world, Australorp hen holds the worlds record beating even white Leghorns.

Australorp hens will outperform any Americanas or any "ucanas" any time anywhere.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  9. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    Quote:Henderson eggs estimates are very inaccurate and for rough reference only.

For exemple they show Australorp and Ameraucana as 4 eggs a day. That's big underestimate of Australop egglying capacity.Australorps are one ot the best layers in the world, Australorp hen holds the worlds record beating even white Leghorns.

Australorp hens will outperform any Americanas or any "ucanas" any time anywhere.

Do they lay more than four times a day? [​IMG] Or did you mean 4 time a week? I didn't know that was really possible.

10. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    If you read the chart on the bottom 4 eggs doesn't mean 4 eggs a week it means very good.My EE Ameraucana's lay as well as the majority of Australorps(6-7 days a week lg and xl egg) is Ucana a new breed or something..never heard of it and we do own and breed true Ameraucana's and can tell you the difference between an Ameraucana Easter Egger and Araucana but stumped on that new one.[​IMG]
    This I copied straight from their site..if your going to make a reference to a site then PLEASE read it first.This quote sums it up very well
    I have been inexact with the egg rates, because egg production is only partly influenced by the breed of hen, and because numbers I have seen have been all over the place. Egg production of an individual hen is dependent on such other factors as age, health, nutrition, space, housing, sanitation, light, humidity, temperature, and contentment. Although one Black Australorp laid a record 364 eggs in 365 days, your Australorp may not reach half that number in her best year. Different lines of the same variety have been bred for different reasons, some emphasizing breeding to standard, others emphasizing egg-laying.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by