egg layers

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Firtle, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Firtle

Firtle Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2011
    What are some good egg laying breeds? THX!

2. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    My Australorp & my Orpington are good, consistent layers. I don't use a light in winter & still get an egg a day from those 2.
    Plus, they are both sweet.

3. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Get a variety, and report back in 26 or so weeks! Check out the BELP mix from Macmurray. Got them many times with great sucess and productivity...

4. Jay262

Jay262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Leghorns are what is used in most comercial laying operations for white eggs for brown eggs you can get Isa browns there are plenty of hybrid layers out there hmm golden comets, black stars or Rhode island reds or new hampshire reds. All these birds are known for there great laying ablilites.

5. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    Get a variety, and report back in 26 or so weeks!

That is what I did, and I am glad, too. Some birds may be great for one reason or another but not great for you. I got one hen each of the 6 I thought would do best given my circumstances. I ended up with 4 (couple roosters in the mix) and more eggs than we eat already, and not everyone is laying yet.​

6. mikeypalone

mikeypalone Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2011
    henry co.
    I have six golden comets that are great. Just wish it would stop with all this rain. good luck

7. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Any of the hybrids are really good. But some purebreeds that I would suggest are, Black australorps(they go broody), Rir, barred rocks, and for white eggs it's hard to beat a white leghorn.

8. Firtle

Firtle Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2011
    Are buff silkies good?

9. Jay262

Jay262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Silkies dont lay well at all. Outside of that there also one of the most broody breed of chickens so half the time they wont lay due to this anyhow.

10. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I like a mixed flock too. Check my signature for my breeds. I'd have most of them again.

For white eggs I like Minorcas and Jaerhons.
    Lots of good brown layers out there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by