egg layers

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by birdman4259, Aug 11, 2014.

1. birdman4259

birdman4259 Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2014
    I am new to keeping ducks so will have lots of questions. Lets start with do I need a drake for them to lay? I have chickens too and was hoping to keep them in the same coop? Do ducks use a nestbox like chickens ? Or just some straw or shavings on the floor?
    Thanks in advance for any input.

Sandy

2. Onlyducks

Onlyducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2014
    Ducks lay whether or not there is a drake. The only difference is the eggs are infertile without the drake. Some ducks will lay in a next box, some lay on a nest they make from straw or shavings and some just lay anywhere. I have put ceramic eggs in the nest area to encourage the ducks to lay the eggs there, but that's not a sure thing. Last year, all my Pekins laid in the nest area they made with their pine shavings. This year, my muscovies lay in the nest about 80% of the time. Just depends on the duck. I don't know if chickens lay every day, but ducks don't always do so. This year, I have 5 female muscovies and am currently getting one egg per day. A couple tried sitting on the eggs, which slows or stops production.

3. birdman4259

May 4, 2014
    Thanks for the reply. I am assuming that any nestbox should be at ground level?

4. Onlyducks

Onlyducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2014
  5. birdman4259

May 4, 2014
    Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by