Egg layin' schedule? We don't need no stinkin' egg layinc schedule!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tactilecontact, Mar 1, 2017.

1. tactilecontact

tactilecontact Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2016
    Montague, MI, USA
    I need to know, are my ducks just weird?

One of my runners went into lay for the first time this last weekend. She's doled out 5 eggs in the last 6 days, which I'm thrilled with, but...

Okay, so, location is midwest Michigan area, and a lot of you are probably aware of the utterly nutso winter the entire region has been having. My runners have been loving it, especially all of the sunshine. Then, the sunshine went away yesterday and today. Whichever of the girls has been laying, had been consistently delivering in the morning hours; I was finding her eggs before 11AM, whether they were let out or kept in during the day (due to work).

Today, I had a short shift at work, and while filling their water, I checked for eggs and found none. I got home from work around 3:30, and let them out to run around for a bit. Sometime between then and 5PM-ish, someone dropped an egg in the fresh fallen snow.

I thought they only layed eggs in the morning hours? Is this typical newbie laying behavior, and they'll settle into a routine time as they get older? Could it be the odd back and forth weather patterns throwing egg-laying off? Or are my ducks just lovable weirdos?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  2. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

It takes 24 hours to produce an egg....Somedays mine will do the same thing.....I have found eggs in the water bowl on the ground and even out on my snow covered ground as they were free ranging.....Its normal.....

You reminded me, I better go out and collect my Duck eggs this morning.......

Cheers!

3. tactilecontact

tactilecontact Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2016
    Montague, MI, USA

*WHEW* Thank you for the assurance, I really appreciate it! :D

4. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

No problem.....;).......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by