Egg layin???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MedinaChick2001, Sep 19, 2010.

1. MedinaChick2001

MedinaChick2001 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2010
    Yesterday at about 9:30 am one of my black sex links laid an egg just before I went into the coop, and she had just begun to peck the egg, I got it before it was destroyed. Today I went down and she was laying in the same nesting box as yesterday. My question is; will she hold her egg in until I leave or does the egg just come out when its time???

2. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    It will come when it's time. I've stood there and watched them lay. Are you sure she was pecking to break the egg? Some tend to nose them around in the nest after they lay, especially if they are broody. They will push the egg back underneath themselves.

3. MedinaChick2001

MedinaChick2001 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2010
    I don't know for sure if she was peckin or not, she did put a little dent with her beak. I did go back down about 10 am and she was in there again, so I stood back and she was kinda standin and pushin and out came her egg! It was so cool to see!!! I was so excited! I grabbed it up and brought it to the house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by