egg laying after hatching chicks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by she'scountry68, Jun 4, 2011.

1. she'scountry68

she'scountry68 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Arkansas
    I have 3 BTW Japanese hens that sat on one nest and hatched 10 chicks. The chicks are almost 6 weeks old now. The 2 young hens have taking the chicks away from the older hen. But the older hen still clucks to the chicks but she stays away from them because she will be attacked otherwise. Well this morning I found 2 eggs in the nest I don't think they were there this morning. My guestions are. Who layed the eggs? Will hens lay eventhough they have young chicks? Can a older hen lay 2 eggs a day when before she only layed 1 eggs every two days?[​IMG]

2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Maybe they are both laying.
    I have a hen currently with 8 week old chicks who is still mothering them, but who started to lay again 2 days ago.

3. kitkatnoah

kitkatnoah Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    Quote:x2! Mine is doing the same thing. My 8 week old chicks don't follow mama to the coop when she lays but once she comes back out she starts calling for her chicks! [​IMG]

4. she'scountry68

she'scountry68 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Arkansas
    today is 6-7-ll got two more eggs, also two yesterday . I still don't know who is laying,working day shift this week when I get in the eggs are there. I swing to night shift next week , maybe I can find out who is laying then.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by