Egg Laying After Molting??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SouthernBYChickens, Jan 18, 2013.

1. SouthernBYChickens

SouthernBYChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Alabama
    Hey Guys and Gals. My girls have gone through a molt about a month ago. Now, they have all their feathers back and they look healthy and beautiful. This is the first time I have ever gone through a molt with the hens. My question is this: About how long does it take for them to start laying good (efficiently) again like before the molt? Thanks, much for the info!

2. BeulahBreezes

BeulahBreezes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Western NY
    Well, we are new at this chicken-keeping but, here is my experiance with molting. My 9 month old, CuckooMarans, Ethel started to molt back in early November. No eggs since late October. She's finally looking great and her comb is 'redding' up again....I think she laid her 1st post-molt egg yesteday!! It was a beautiful site!!! ~Beulah

3. SouthernBYChickens

Dec 7, 2011
    Alabama
    Beulah - I got a little confused on your time frame. You said she began to molt in early November, but you had no eggs in late October. Do you mean she quit laying leading up to the molt? So, if that is the case, then it was around 2 months til she began to lay again? Is that what you are saying? Thanks!!

4. BeulahBreezes

BeulahBreezes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Western NY
    Sorry, its been a long day..haha! Yes, Its been well over 2 months that Ethel hasn't laid eggs. I believe it is due to the shorter daylight hours and then she went right into the molt....

5. SouthernBYChickens

Dec 7, 2011
    Alabama
    Okay. Then that makes me feel better. I just assumed when their feathers came back, they were good to go with the eggs again. But, a friend of mine who also has chickens said the other day it takes 2 or 3 months for them to start laying again. I found this difficult to believe and that is why I came here for more info. Sounds like that is the case though. Thanks, Beulah!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by