egg laying almost stopped since the spring

nirtak

Chirping
8 Years
7 Years
Jun 30, 2015
3 2yo ISA Brown, a 3yo Rhode Island Red, and a 4yo Barred Rock produce a total of one egg a day (probably a single layer in the bunch, we don't know who it is) for 10 months now. There is no place for them to have a hidden nest/we look around. Unless they lay and eat right away, but then you usually see some leftover mess. Plus, I can see them from our kitchen window, so I would probably catch them laying eggs in the run every now and then. Every 2-3 weeks, there is a day that we get two eggs.

Coop has light 15h a day, they have layer feed, oyster shell, water, no mites, and an outdoor run.
One of them looks like she has been molting since March (see picture), but the other ones look completely fine.

What could be going on, what can we try to do?

Attachments

• ISA Brown1.jpg
    ISA Brown1.jpg
    586.3 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20211203_233414008.jpg
    PXL_20211203_233414008.jpg
    864.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
How much feed are you feeding them? I found that free feeding has worked for me. I used to measure out their feed because it had worked in a past flock, but with my current one I see better production with free feeding.

How much feed are you feeding them? I found that free feeding has worked for me. I used to measure out their feed because it had worked in a past flock, but with my current one I see better production with free feeding.
Free feeding. We have a bucket with two street elbows they can help themselves from. They are pretty predictable as to how long it takes until it needs refilled.

Are they receiving any treats?

Is there a rooster in the flock?

With my current flock for some reason they do better without the rooster. I’m not sure if the rooster would stress them out or what but once we removed the rooster they produced eggs like crazy.

The ratio wasn’t off either. It was one rooster for 20 hens!

Do they free range or stay cooped up / penned up?

Oh what I did do before they started laying again was up their protein. I’m not sure if that’s what helped with mine or if it was a coincidence.

So maybe switch to a grower or all flock feed and let them have free choice oyster shells. Once they got back to laying I went back to layer feed.

Back
Top Bottom