Egg laying and free ranging.

I coup mine only at night they go in all by themselves, and my hen seems to be going back into to coup to lay during the day when she is done she leaves and goes back out to free range... So Mine comes back to the coup....

Hope that helps!

Mine all free range and they come back to the coop to eat and lay eggs. I also find hens in there during the afternoon while others are out napping, the inside ones come in to nap? Go figure? I did have one that wouldn't lay in the coop but that was because I had too many roosters and she was always hiding from them. I separated the extra roos and now she comes back to the coop.

Thank y'all-very helpful. I just hate to go out to check on them (meaning, bring an hourly treat!) and then have to look at their sad little eyes as I walk back across the green grass. They have scratched and pecked until every green thing in their run has either been eaten or beaten into the dust. They've also cleaned out the outside perimeter of the run by reaching through the wire to grab whatever they can growing outside the run. The grass is literally greener on the other side!

I'll see how it goes today with the laying. Wish me (and them) luck!

I have 12 chickens and two turkeys - they free range all day and just some in the chicken door in the evening to roost but they do come in periodically during the day to lay. I have watched them during the day to make sure they are not laying in the woods and so far and I getting the same amount of eggs as I did when I kept them coup-ed up all day!

Back
Top Bottom