Egg Laying and Mating Advice, Please?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by SilkyPants, Jan 30, 2014.

1. SilkyPants

SilkyPants Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2013
    Washington
    My Coop
    I just saw my gander mating one of the girls on the "goose pond" (kiddy pool) for the first time.
    I have never seen any eggs from them, but for the last couple weeks my gander has been getting more and more aggressive. I can't turn my back within 15 feet of him, or he will charge me. Usually he just hisses at me and chases our dogs (who they grew up with).
    I have two girls and one boy. They are all about 1 year old Toulouse.
    Will he eventually mate both girls?
    Our winter is pretty mild here lows at night about 30, 50 during the day.
    Any ideas when should I expect to see eggs?
    They have an igloo dog house with hay and a stall in the barn for nesting, but they always sleep and hang with the goats (2 nubian does), their BFF.
    Also, should I get a second gander?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  2. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

I think I had the first gosling of the new year. It hatched Jan 8 and was the only one of nine eggs that my goose hatched. I candled the eggs during incubation, and that was the only fertile egg. i think it was because it was just so early, she had layed the eggs during december wich is far from close to the breeding season.

It is good that your geese are breeding now, so by the time they start laying, almost all the eggs should be fertile, if not all of them. Geese typically start laying around March, so you still have a month to go. I don't think you will be needing a second gander, the trio should breed perfectly fine. in the coming month, February and March, I would start checking around for eggs. Geese are pretty good at hiding and burying the eggs under the bedding of the nest, which isn't bad at all, but if you want to keep track of eggs, it's best to find them and mark them with a pencil then put them back. Hope all goes well this year with your geese![​IMG]

3. SilkyPants

Mar 27, 2013
    Washington
    My Coop
    Thank you, that is so helpful! I couldn't get a clear picture from reading other posts it sounded like they all started laying before mating.

Congratulations on the gosling!

I'm hoping for a good gaggle :)

4. SilkyPants

Mar 27, 2013
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Just found this nest today!

5. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

Thats great! [​IMG]The goose will usually go broody once she has layed 9 to 12 eggs. Lets hope she lays more soon.

6. SilkyPants

Mar 27, 2013
    Washington
    My Coop
    Babies have started poking out their heads!
    The other goose started nesting with the first and they shared turns laying and grazing, then the last two days neither would leave the nest. Our gander is a very proud papa and won't let any of those darn chickens or goats get close :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

Awww!

8. creaturelife

creaturelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    congrads on he babys i have been getting no eggs and i really want them to hatch out some baby this is my geese first year i live in ky we had a nasty winter this year seen 0 mating when can i expect eggs from them

9. SilkyPants

Mar 27, 2013
    Washington
    My Coop
    From what I read, and other members have shared, about Toulouse, you don't usually get eggs until the end of March/early April.
    We have had a relatively mild winter here and mine surprised me.
    I had also read that they don't lay/fertilize well their first year. Your chances of fertilization are better if you have a water source for them. I just use a blue plastic kiddy pool.
    Your chances of hatching tend to be better if you don't let them share a nest.
    Watch them carefully because they do bury their eggs when away from the nest. Try not to spook them away. My gander also got more noticeably protective.

Once you have goslings, I'd say move them to a brooder pen and give them an adequate supply of greens and water and stable warm temperature.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by