Egg laying and short days?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jed1154, Dec 17, 2008.

1. jed1154

jed1154 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    OK, so a buddy of mine got his chicks exactly one week before i got mine. However, his have been laying for 3 weeks already. We feed the same food. The only thing that is different is that he has put a light on his to trick them into thinking the days are longer. I do not have electricity on mine so its not really an option.

Can something like that really make that much of a difference?

2. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    It depends on where you are and how many hours of daylight you have, Jed.

If your chickens get 8 hours of light and spend 16 hours on the roost, and

his chickens get 16 hous of light and spend 8 hours on the roost

you can see how that would make a difference in the 24 hour day of a chicken.

Edit: I live where we have 8 hours of sunlight right now. So, I turn on an 11 watt light. They have 15 hours of light each day. My 4 pullets came into lay in November. They layed 23 eggs last week and 23 eggs the week before. Looks like they are on that track for this week.

Steve

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have 23 available layers (one is broody) and today I got 12 eggs. Lights go on at 6AM. Lights go off at 8PM It's dark for 10 hours.... they get 14 hours of light. They all seem happy and healthy.

4. Flycropper

Flycropper Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    As the day light got shorter this winter, my chickens' egg laying dropped off significantly. I change the timer on the light in their coop to turn on earlier in the morning. Comes on at 3:00 a.m. and off around 5 to 6 pm. After about a week they were back up to their normal egg production.

The light made a big difference for mine.

5. bassfishrman

bassfishrman Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2007
    I have 22 laying hens and was getting 15-18 eggs per day until daylight hours were reduced. My egg production rapidly dropped to 2-4 per day. I put a light in my coop that comes on at 4am and goes off at daylight and after 2 weeks of the light, I am up to 10-12 eggs per day.

6. wisdom_seeker

wisdom_seeker Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2008
    CT
    Quote:I don't remember the numbers but the light made a huge difference for me.

I would try to do something with car batteries for lights. I'm not sure if LEDs might help with power consumption?

7. jonny_v

jonny_v New Egg

Oct 21, 2008
    Upper Bucks, PA
    Our chickens are laying despite the day / night ratio.

We got them at 18 wks, they started laying at 21 weeks and we have been getting ususally 6 eggs a day and only sometimes 5 eggs from 6 hens.

Decided when we got them that we we going to leave lighting up to nature. Is it because they are young? We are in NE PA.

8. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    One thing in your advantage, Jonny-v, is that your latitude is only about 40 degrees.

You have nearly 9 1/2 hours of sunlight.

Steve

Here's a service for people to check their sunlight. It's easy for US cities. You'll need to know your longitude and latitude, outside of the US.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  9. jonny_v

jonny_v New Egg

Oct 21, 2008
    Upper Bucks, PA
    Thanks, Steve! We are enjoying thier production! [​IMG]

10. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:Well , I have to be honest and say YES it does make a big difference . We were picking like 4 or 5 eggs a day , until DH put lights in both coops and NOW we are picking between 23 - 27 eggs a day .

I had a bunch of late layers , so since they were RESTING all summer , we decided to KICK START them by adding more light once days have gotten shorter ... It works .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by