egg laying and stress

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by storeman, Jun 24, 2011.

1. storeman

storeman Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2011
    I'm culling a mean rooster next week and need to know how much stress this will put on my hens. I will have to take him of the roost because he cannot be touched without a fight, besides my hens need a break from this monster.

2. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    If you do it in the middle of the night, i think they will be fine. They pay attention at night, but can't really see. All they will really know is that something scared them. Cover his head (crown royal bags work really good for this) and it will help him stay calmer when you get him out of the coop and into the light.

Good luck, they may even thank you!

3. storeman

Apr 21, 2011
    I know I don't need him for my hens to lay, but will the stress of him being gone disrupt the egg laying for any length of time?

4. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    I wouldn't think so, chances are, they won't even notice. I have two broodies who are missing from the flock right now. The other ladies couldn't care less. They are still laying just fine. I think it would be the same for you with the roo. Just try not to stress them when you remove him as scaring them too badly could interrupt them laying for a little bit. I had a rogue cat around here, and she had my flock so stressed that until she was relocated, i was getting about 1/4 of the eggs i normally got. It took about two days for them to resume production.

5. storeman

Apr 21, 2011
    Ok thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by