Egg laying at night????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bella123, Dec 29, 2008.

1. bella123

bella123 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Since the weather here in NH has been pretty mild, my girls have been out all day. They go in around 5PM light is on until around 9-930 pm. My question is in the morning around 6ish I have 8 eggs...they are not laying in the day time is this normal????

2. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Maybe they are early risers?

3. mudderhen

mudderhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    I had the same thing happen to me over the last week or so. It has never happened before. I live in the south, but have about the same setup as you. The girls are outside all day, the lights go on in the hen house at about 5pm, off about 10pm, back on about 6 am. If I am not working, I check for eggs several times daily, and I have recently on two occasions found hens on the nest when I tuck them in for bed. Last night I found one of my serema hen's was on the nest and laid about 9 pm.
    I kept their light on all night for a couple of nights that it was supposed to be very cold to help with heat in the hen house, so I don't know if that had anything to do with mine or not.
    I have also got up early and let them out for the day and found eggs already laid. It is odd that several hens laid during the night unless they got out of sync for some reason.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by