Egg Laying at Night?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blackwingedwolf, Aug 11, 2014.

1. blackwingedwolf

blackwingedwolf Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2014
    One out of six of our girls had started laying already (the Red Star), using the nesting boxes and giving us pretty brown eggs. But I think (emphasis on I THINK) my White Leghorn has laid her first egg... either last night or early this morning, and from the smell, it seems like it was around 1 or 2. There was no shattered shell, so it was most likely a no-shelled egg, but there was yolk splattered everywhere and some white. So, I was wondering if this was normal, and if there is a way to get her to lay more during the day. I have them on a layer's feed with oyster shell and scratch, I yesterday I put four little sidewalk lamps (which are really dim) under their coop, so if they ever wanted to get water during the night, they can see. I have access to the nesting boxes at ALL times, and the White Leghorn has even watched the Red Star as she laid her second egg about three days ago. In fact, all the girls crowded around her box when the Red Star was laying her egg. Does anyone have any suggestions? :/ I'm really worried about her. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. julesisthehen

julesisthehen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2014
    Sometimes when a chicken is new to laying, the will either lay a 'wind egg' with no yolk, a 'double-yoker,' or a no-shelled egg. This is normal for being their first egg, but I think the reason she laid it at night was because of the light. They will be fine if they need to get something in the night, but the light can make them think it is still day, even if it is dim. My suggestion is just to have it turned off at night, and she should start laying during actual daylight

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by