Egg Laying Attitudes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ksummer26, Oct 4, 2014.

1. ksummer26

ksummer26 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2014
    Charlotte, Michigan
    My chickens have finally been laying for about 2 weeks now! They lay at all different times of the day and there are only 5/6 of then laying. I am sure they will catch up and get a good routine going. I have one of my RIR's though that lays in the neating box on top of the egg for hours at a time after laying it. Is this a normal reaction or is she wanting to be a mom? I am not sure what to do about this situation because they are 26 weeks old.

2. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

I think it will all sort out after a little more time.
    The one who sits after laying for hours might be a good broody hen in the future but I doubt she trying to brood already, just listening an instinct that tells her to protect the egg, just a guess though.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Sometimes they will sit in the nest after laying..I have several who do that.

A broody will be indicated by not laying; sitting the nest day and night; flattening out, hissing, growling pecking if disturbed.

Not much to do but observe, if you decide she is broody(sitting day and night constantly for 3 days in a row) you can break her of it, or give her fertile eggs if you want her to hatch some out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by