1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

egg laying behavior of black tail Japanese and golden duckwing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by naveed, Feb 4, 2011.

1. naveed

naveed Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2007
    hi

I want to know about egg laying behavior of black tail Japanese and golden duckwing, i came to know they r poor egg layers, if i increase light hours upto 16-18 will they give better result?

Secondly in black tail white Japanese female is 1 year while male is 5 months old and golden duckwing male and 1 female are abt 1.5 years while one female is 6 month old but they are not laying. What should i do? The Japanese laid 2 eggs with a gap of 6 days.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  2. naveed

Sep 17, 2007
    so, nobody here to answer?

3. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Hello, no serious expert here but I do have a buff Japanese hen who lays a small egg nearly every day. I do understand that they can be very hard to breed, and with the 8 eggs we tried on our very first hatch we did not have even one hatch. Our rooster has been doing his job and I thought we cracked a few fertile ones. But anyway, not your question. Some extra light, 2-3 hours might get your egg layers going again. I should mention that ours are in a pen in the basement due to lack of an outdoor bantum pen and they are getting extra light. Good luck! [​IMG]

4. naveed

Sep 17, 2007
    hey, Thanks chickengrl it helps a lot [​IMG]. Btw i checked today on 5th day one that i set 7 days after being layed is fertile and veins are there but the newer one which i sat right after 1-2 days is infertile [​IMG]. thats strange. Anyways lets see what happen.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by