Egg laying behavior

Joeysmom

Chirping
Jun 26, 2022
I am back again. I cannot seem to find any answers for my gambles quail. Every time before she lays her egg she is extremely lethargic , barely keep her eyes open. It is as if she is dying. This lasts for 24-36 hours. Once the egg is laid she is back to herself. Can the egg be going thru the oviduct wrong ?. Her first eggs were soft but with a change of diet they are hard shelled and look healthy . Sometimes there is a soft spot but I am not sure if it’s because she steps on it or something going on inside of her. Anyone who has any input would be wonderful. I keep her warm and the heater on during this. I tried the warm bath but she hates it. She is now bobbing her head . This is a new behavior . This will be her 9th egg . She seems to be on a cycle of every 4-5 days to lay.

Sounds as if she may have peritonitis. Soft shell eggs, the behavior she is displaying. Does she stand like a penguin when she acts this way?

Sounds as if she may have peritonitis. Soft shell eggs, the behavior she is displaying. Does she stand like a penguin when she acts this way?
In the past yes.. she would waddle a day or so before laying her egg. She can’t even stand now . I am actually at the vet now . They have her on oxygen and going to take an X-ray … ❤️

In the past yes.. she would waddle a day or so before laying her egg. She can’t even stand now . I am actually at the vet now . They have her on oxygen and going to take an X-ray … ❤️
I hope for the best for both of you! :hugs

It usually isn't a good ending but I have had a few pheasant hens with EYP, survive for 7 to 8 years.

I hope for the best for both of you! :hugs

It usually isn't a good ending but I have had a few pheasant hens with EYP, survive for 7 to 8 years.
Thank you. She was given prostaglandin hoping to expel the egg . She has survived the night but doesn’t look good.:(

Back
Top Bottom